Mount St. Mary's University is a private, liberal arts, Catholic university in the Catoctin Mountains near historic Emmitsburg, Maryland. The university offers more than 80 majors, minors, concentrations, and special programs and ranks in the top 10% of universities nationwide in terms of lifetime earnings of our graduates. Visit www.msmary.edu to learn more about us.
Our esports program offers a variety of benefits to students. We have:
- A dedicated 2,200 square foot facility
- An Esports and Game Studies Minor
- Connections with area esports orgs for internship and job opportunities
- A streaming lab in which students can earn course credit for running varsity streams
- A focus on player development and growth
Our facility is a 2,200 square foot building that offers students a number of amenities. We have a classroom space where we teach courses in esports and gaming in the mornings and that becomes an open gaming area accessible to all students in the afternoons and evenings. We have a dedicated space for our varsity teams with PCs and consoles for our various teams to practice and compete in. We also have a lounge area with some tables and board games for students to spend time with friends, have a place to play mobile games, or enjoy game of Mario Kart. There is a VR system set up for students to use, complete with a racing cockpit if students want to play racing games in VR. Additionally, we have a streaming lab with professional equipment and software for students who want to gain experience in livestream event production. We stream all of our varsity games and students can earn course credit running those streams and gaining mastery over stream software and hardware.
We have varsity teams in League of Legends, Overwatch, Rocket League, Super Smash Bros, and NBA 2K. We additionally have a club team in Valorant and a group of students who compete in collegiate iRacing. Varsity team benefits include:
- Scheduled training sessions with coaches
- Competition in various collegiate leagues and tournaments (MAEC, ECAC, NACE)
- Travel to area tournaments and competitions
- Jerseys and other swag
- Access to the varsity training room
- Promotion on stream and social media
- Academic support and team exercise sessions
Our program works to make sure that all of our players are able to succeed both in game and out of game. We work with players on a variety of skills that are all important to succeeding in game and in life, such as stress management, leadership, communication skills, and problem solving. Our goal as a program is to make sure that the skills that our students build while competing with us translate into success in other areas of their lives.